Eligibility for Transfer Credit

Applicants admitted to York University who present accredited previous postsecondary studies may be eligible for transfer credit. The determination of transfer credit eligibility will take into consideration the applicant's complete record of accredited postsecondary study. The amount of transfer credit granted depends on the type of institution attended, academic nature of the program completed, the number of courses completed, the grades received and the program to which the student has applied at York. Applicants admitted to York who were not in good standing at all previous postsecondary institutions may be eligible for transfer credit consideration and will be assessed on an individual basis.

To be eligible to graduate with a York University degree, all students must meet the minimum residency and degree requirements of their program.

York University will try to accommodate all applications prior to the start of an academic term. Postsecondary transfer students are strongly encouraged to apply and provide all relevant documents (transcripts, outlines, etc.) at least two months prior to the start of an academic term to ensure sufficient time for review and evaluation of their previous academic credentials. Applications may be considered after this two-month timeframe, but incomplete applications may result in assessments not being completed by the start of the academic term.

A separate application requesting transfer credit consideration is not required. The receipt of all transfer credit documentation and the evaluation of all possible transfer credits available at the time of admission must be completed within one academic term from the date of admission to the University. (Fall term and fall/winter session admission: completed by the end of the fall/winter session; winter term admission: completed by the end of the summer session; summer session admission: completed by the end of the fall term.). Studies not declared on the application for admission to York University are not eligible for transfer credit consideration.

Should a transfer student, having left York to pursue study at another postsecondary institution, decide to return to York, a new application to York may be required and all previous transfer credit will be reassessed. You may also be able to reactivate your record. Visit registrar.yorku.ca/enrol/reactivate for details.

Course Outlines

Students who have previously completed any accredited postsecondary courses may be required to provide institutionally prepared course outlines/syllabi to allow faculty subject experts to review for possible degree course exclusions. The outlines should include an overall course description, detailed list of topics covered, a list of all required textbooks, grading practices, number of weeks in attendance (excluding examination period), and number of lecture, tutorial and laboratory hours.

York University reserves the right to require institutionally prepared course outlines/syllabi for any admitted program. For details, visit: futurestudents.yorku.ca/transfer/documents/course-outline-example. For all students, detailed outlines of postsecondary work completed in the intended major are recommended to determine if any transfer credits can be applied to the major. Course syllabi/course outlines must represent the timeframe within which the student took the course and be prepared by the former institution or be available on the institution's website. Submit your course outlines/syllabi via MyFile (yorku.ca/myfile). Documents that can be uploaded directly will be clearly identified with an "Upload" link. To login to MyFile, you will need your nine-digit reference number and your date of birth. If you have any issues uploading your course outlines/syllabi, please email the Transfer Credit Unit: tcadm@yorku.ca

Course outlines not in English or French must be translated into English or French and submitted with the institutionally prepared copy.

Undergraduate University Degree Programs

Applicants admitted to York who have completed degree credit work toward baccalaureate degrees at an accredited postsecondary institution within Canada or outside of Canada may be considered for transfer credit. Transfer credit consideration is given to course work in which the grade achieved is that normally required of a continuing York student. Students are granted the maximum possible transfer credit; however, not all credits may contribute toward satisfying the degree requirements of their program. To be eligible to graduate, all students must meet the minimum residency and degree requirements of their program.

Note: If a student is granted a course exclusion and chooses to repeat the exclusion while at York, transfer credit will be forfeited.

York University supports the Pan-Canadian Protocol on the transferability of university credits, and undertakes to ensure that all course work completed by transfer students during the first two years of university study in Canada (including the final year of studies leading to a diploma of college studies [DCS] in Quebec and the university transfer courses offered by community colleges and university colleges in British Columbia and Alberta) will be recognized and fully credited for the purposes of granting a degree provided that:

  1. the transfer student is deemed admissible and has been presented with an offer of admission;
  2. the transfer student has achieved a passing grade in his/her course(s) and has obtained grade levels that would normally be required of continuing students; and
  3. the credits earned are related to the program of study in which the transfer student will register, or the credits can be counted as electives for the program of study.

Ontario College Programs

Applicants admitted to York University who have completed a college program or at least one semester of full-time study in an academic program at one of the 24 accredited Ontario College’s, an accredited Indigenous Institute in Ontario, or a provincially accredited college outside of Ontario may be considered for transfer credit. Block credit will be awarded for completed semesters. Credit is not granted for individual college courses. The minimum requirement for transfer credit consideration is a minimum overall average of 3.00 on a 4-point scale (B/70 per cent) on all courses taken, including failed courses. Professional development courses, continuing education courses, and studies completed at private career colleges are not eligible for transfer credit consideration.

Articulation agreements with a College of Applied Arts and Technology (CAAT) or Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning (ITAL) or equivalent may result in enhanced transfer credit. For more details, visit futurestudents.yorku.ca/transfer/college-transfers.

Depending on the specific program completed, block transfer credit will be granted and may result in the satisfaction of specified degree requirements and specific course waivers may be granted.

Students are granted the maximum possible transfer credit; however, some transfer credit may not contribute to satisfying degree requirements.

Advanced Secondary Studies and CEGEP (Quebec)

At York, "advanced secondary studies" refer to standardized qualifications or studies that offer students an opportunity to study in an academically challenging program or courses to prepare them for postsecondary studies. Programs or courses completed with specific grades or averages are eligible for transfer credit. Eligible programs or courses include: Advanced Placement (AP); the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE) Diploma; the General Certificate of Education (GCE) A levels; the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma; the French Baccalaureate. To see the maximum amount of transfer credit awarded to each program/course, please visit: futurestudents.yorku.ca/transfer/advanced-secondary-cegep.

Obtention d'équivalences universitaires (crédits d'équivalence)

Les candidates et candidats admis à l’Université York qui ont fait des études postsecondaires accréditées peuvent avoir droit à des équivalences. Pour déterminer l’admissibilité à des équivalences, le dossier complet d’études postsecondaires accréditées du candidat ou de la candidate sera pris en compte. Le nombre d’équivalences pouvant être transférées dépend du type d’établissement fréquenté, de la nature pédagogique du programme achevé, du nombre de cours réussis, des notes obtenues et du programme auquel la personne désire s’inscrire à York. Les candidates et candidats admis à York qui n’étaient pas en règle avec leurs établissements postsecondaires antérieurs peuvent déposer une demande d’équivalences et leurs dossiers seront évalués au cas par cas.

Pour être admissibles à recevoir un diplôme de l’Université York, toutes les étudiantes et tous les étudiants doivent répondre aux exigences en matière de résidence et de diplomation de leur programme.

L’Université York s’efforcera de répondre à toutes les demandes avant le début d’un trimestre universitaire. Nous incitons vivement les étudiantes et étudiants venant d’un autre établissement postsecondaire à présenter leur demande et à fournir tous les documents pertinents (relevés de notes, descriptions de cours, etc.) au moins deux mois avant le début d’un trimestre universitaire afin de laisser assez de temps pour l’examen et l’évaluation de leurs diplômes et attestations. Les demandes peuvent être examinées après ce délai de deux mois, mais si elles sont incomplètes, les évaluations risquent de ne pas être prêtes avant le début du trimestre universitaire.

Il n’est pas nécessaire de faire une demande distincte pour la prise en compte d’équivalences. La réception de tous les documents relatifs aux équivalences et l’évaluation de toutes les équivalences possibles au moment de l’admission doivent être complétées au cours d’un trimestre universitaire à compter de la date d’admission à l’Université (admission au trimestre d’automne et à la session d’automne/hiver : complétées avant la fin de la session d’automne/hiver; admission au trimestre d’hiver : complétées avant la fin de la session d’été; admission à la session d’été : complétées avant la fin du trimestre d’automne). Les études qui ne sont pas déclarées dans la demande d’admission à l’Université York ne seront pas prises en compte pour des équivalences.

Si un·e étudiant·e qui avait quitté York pour poursuivre ses études dans un autre établissement postsecondaire décide de revenir à York, une nouvelle demande d’inscription peut être nécessaire et toutes les équivalences précédentes seront réévaluées. Il est également possible que le dossier doive être réactivé. Visitez registrar.yorku.ca/enrol/reactivate pour plus de détails.

Descriptions de cours

Les étudiants et étudiantes qui ont achevé des cours postsecondaires accrédités peuvent être tenus de fournir des descriptions et des plans officiels de cours préparés par l’établissement pour permettre aux experts facultaires d’examiner les éventuelles exclusions de cours pour l’obtention d’un diplôme. Les descriptions doivent inclure une description générale du cours, une liste détaillée des matières couvertes, une liste de tous les manuels requis, les méthodes de notation, le nombre de semaines de fréquentation (en excluant la période d’examen) et le nombre d’heures de classe, de tutorat et de laboratoire.

L’Université York se réserve le droit d’exiger des descriptions de cours préparées par l’établissement pour tout programme d’admission. Pour plus de détails, visitez le site : futurestudents.yorku.ca/transferts/documents/course-outline-example. Il est recommandé que tous les étudiants et étudiantes remettent une description détaillée des travaux postsecondaires terminés dans le domaine de la majeure qu’ils et elles envisagent de faire afin de déterminer s’il est possible d’obtenir des équivalences pour cette majeure. Ces descriptions de cours doivent indiquer la période pendant laquelle l’étudiant a suivi le cours et être préparées par l’établissement reconnu ou être disponibles sur son site. Soumettez vos descriptions de cours sur MyFile (yorku.ca/myfile). Les documents qui peuvent être téléversés directement sur le site seront clairement identifiés par un lien de téléchargement. Pour accéder à MyFile, vous devrez entrer un numéro de référence à neuf chiffres et votre date de naissance. Si vous avez du mal à télécharger vos descriptions de cours, veuillez envoyer un courriel au bureau Transfer Credit Unit: tcadm@yorku.

Les descriptions de cours qui ne sont pas en anglais ou en français doivent être traduites dans ces langues et soumises avec les descriptions préparées par l’établissement.

Études universitaires de premier cycle

Les candidates et candidats admis à York qui ont achevé des cours donnant droit à des équivalences dans un établissement postsecondaire agréé au Canada ou à l’extérieur du Canada peuvent demander des équivalences. L’étude de leur dossier tiendra compte des cours pour lesquels les notes obtenues sont celles normalement exigées d’un·e étudiant·e poursuivant ses études sans interruption. Les cours doivent avoir une pondération équivalant à un cours de 3, 6 ou 9 crédits de l’Université York. Un maximum d’équivalences sera accordé aux étudiantes et étudiants, mais il se peut que certaines équivalences accordées ne répondent pas aux exigences d’un programme d’études donné.

Remarque : Si un·e étudiant·e décide de suivre à York un cours pour lequel il ou elle avait été exempté·e, les équivalences accordées pour le cours de l’établissement précédent seront perdues.

L’Université York adhère au Protocole pancanadien sur la réciprocité des crédits universitaires et s’engage à faire en sorte que tous les cours suivis par les étudiants et étudiantes venant d’un autre établissement durant les deux premières années d’études universitaires au Canada (y compris la dernière année d’études menant à un diplôme d’études collégiales [DEC] au Québec et les cours de transfert universitaire offerts par les collèges communautaires et les collèges universitaires en Colombie-Britannique et en Alberta) soient reconnus et pleinement crédités pour l’obtention d’un diplôme, pourvu que :

  1. l’étudiant·e soit admissible et ait reçu une offre d’admission;
  2. l’étudiant·e ait obtenu la note de passage au(x) cours suivi(s) et ait le niveau normalement exigé d’un·e étudiant·e poursuivant ses études sans interruption;
  3. les crédits obtenus soient en lien avec le programme d’études dans lequel l’étudiant·e s’inscrira, ou que les crédits puissent être comptés comme facultatifs pour ledit programme.

Études collégiales en Ontario

Les candidates et candidats admis à l’Université York qui ont terminé un programme collégial ou au moins un trimestre d’études à temps plein dans un programme de l’un des 24 collèges agréés de l’Ontario, dans un établissement autochtone agréé de l’Ontario ou dans un collège agréé provincialement hors Ontario peuvent chercher à obtenir des équivalences. Des blocs de crédits seront accordés pour les trimestres achevés. Aucun crédit ne se sera accordé pour des cours individuels collégiaux. Le minimum requis pour une équivalence est une moyenne générale de B/70, soit 3 sur une échelle de 4, pour tous les cours suivis, y compris les cours échoués. Les cours de développement professionnel, les cours d’éducation permanente et les études dans des établissements d’enseignement professionnel privés ne peuvent pas être pris en compte pour des équivalences.

Les accords avec un collège d’arts appliqués et de technologie (CAAT) ou un collège de technologie et d’enseignement supérieur axé sur la formation polytechnique (ITAL) ou l’équivalent peuvent donner lieu à des équivalences améliorées. Pour plus de détails, visitez futurestudents.yorku.ca/transfer/college-transfers.

En fonction du programme suivi, des blocs de crédits seront accordés et pourront permettre de satisfaire à certaines exigences du diplôme. Des dispenses de cours précis pourront aussi être accordées.

Un maximum d’équivalences sera accordé aux étudiantes et étudiants, mais il se peut que certaines équivalences accordées ne répondent pas aux exigences d’un programme d’études donné.

Études secondaires avancées et CEGEP (Québec)

À York, les « études secondaires avancées » se rapportent aux qualifications standardisées ou aux études qui donnent aux étudiantes et étudiants la chance d’étudier dans un programme amibitieux ou des cours pour les préparer à des études postsecondaires. Les programmes ou les cours complétés avec des notes ou des moyennes spécifiques sont admissibles à des équivalences. Les programmes ou cours admissibles incluent : le classement dans un niveau avancé; le diplôme Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE); le General Certificate of Education (GCE), A levels; le baccalauréat international (BI) et le baccalauréat français. Pour vérifier le maximum de crédits pouvant être transférés pour chaque programme/cours, veuillez visiter futurestudents.yorku.ca/transfer/advanced-secondary-cegep.